Questions about Divorce or Dissolution of Civil Partnership


How do I apply for divorce or dissolution of civil partnership?

The procedure for applying for applying for divorce or dissolution of civil partnership is different depending on whether or not you can apply using the simplified/'do-it-yourself' procedure and whether you want to apply in the sheriff court or Court of Session. Detailed information can be accessed in the Divorce/Dissolution of Civil Partnership section.

How do I get a copy of my divorce/dissolution extract?

You can get a copy of your divorce/dissolution extract by applying in writing to the court which granted the divorce/dissolution. You should provide as much detail as you can, for example the name of parties, date of divorce/dissolution, date and place of marriage/partnership. A fee will be payable, further information on fees can be accessed in the Court Fees section. The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service do not hold historical divorce/dissolution records. Records that are older than 25 years are held by the National Records of Scotland.

You can also order an extract from the Register of Divorces (post 1984) from the National Records of Scotland

How much does it cost?

The cost will vary dependant on whether you are applying using the simplified procedure or not and whether you apply in the sheriff court or Court of Session. Costs will also vary depending on the particular circumstances of your case. Information on the initial fee to lodge the documents in court can be accessed at Court Fees. It should be noted that further costs can be incurred thereafter.

I got married in Scotland, do I need to get divorced here too

No, you can only apply for divorce in Scotland if you meet the residence criteria for divorce. See information on residence.

Can I access divorce/dissolution information about other people?

It is possible to access some summary information about divorces/dissolutions by writing, emailing, or going in person to the National Records of Scotland.

The information accessible there is restricted to:

  • The fact that divorce/dissolution has been granted
  • The date the divorce/dissolution was granted
  • The court which granted the divorce/dissolution
  • The names of the individuals who were divorced or whose civil partnership was dissolved.

Requests for extracts of divorces (summaries of the final judgement) granted in Sheriff Courts after 1984 should be made to the National Records of Scotland. For extracts issued by the Court of Session, (which dealt with all divorces before 1984), requests should be made to the Extracts Department of the Court of Session.

Requests for access to the full process papers for a divorce less than 100 years old, whether in a Sheriff Court or  the Court of Session, should be submitted to the Data Protection Officer at Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service.

Right-hand Menu

Find and contact your court